Nearly There

Thomas

Hello again!

The last few weeks have flown by and now EGX is just a few days away. Shadow Detective is looking good, and all the music and sound effects for the demo version are finished and in place. I’m currently throwing together a bit of a soundtrack EP/album using both the original and 8-bit versions of the music tracks, which we could maybe give out while we’re at EGX. The artwork, mechanics and overall structure of the game are sorted too, so we can show anyone attending EGX a glimpse of the full Shadow Detective experience, and hopefully leave them impressed.

I don’t think there’s much more to say, other than we hope to see you in Birmingham for EGX!

 

Advertisements

Slow and Steady

Thomas

Hello and welcome back once again. It’s been far too long since the last post, so it’s time to bring you up-to-date with what’s happening at the GlassSpy Games camp.

Recent progress has been slow – a little too slow – so we’re picking up the pace. I’ve been converting a couple of the existing music tracks into “8-bit”, chiptune versions to fit the art style of the game better. Seeing as we’re using 16-bit-style pixel graphics, a more classic video game-sounding soundtrack might work better than using real (albeit sampled) instruments. We still have the original versions on hand though so we can make that judgement by comparing them side-by-side.

I’ve also been producing sound effects for collectibles in the same chiptune style.

The art team has been working on the first area of the game, including a Big Bad Machine™ and a basement section to make the level longer. Making everything consistent with each other, and with the theme of the game, as well as researching reference material and other similar tasks has taken a while.

It’s coming on though, and we’ll get up to speed and hopefully have something pretty cool to show off soon!

Making Progress

Thomas

Welcome back to the GlassSpy Games development blog! It’s a new week and about time to let you lot know how things are progressing.

We got together and had a meeting today, and it seems things are coming along well. Kyle and Jordan have already got a lot of coding done, and key gameplay mechanics such as the flashlight are in place. The lighting effects this creates are looking very nice – or at least they are to me! We discussed what other mechanics we want to include, and how they’re going to work and fit in with the storyline.

The art direction that the game is taking was sorted a while ago, and since then Edward and Lisa have been busy working on various assets including the protagonist and the cast of villains. The protagonist is nearly completed, and the story itself is in a good place.

As for sound design, I’ve completed the title/menu theme, and have a few ideas written down (and in my head) for other themes for the game, including overworld themes for each area the player visits. I’ve already got some environmental sound effects recorded, including footsteps, switches, door locks etc., as well as a couple of variations of “collectible” sounds for when the player finds things to pick up. From here I need to create a few more of these incidental sound effects, get some more background effects (for example, industrial noises for a power plant area) and, of course, create musical themes for other areas of the game.

As with all projects, of course, there’s plenty more work to do and kinks to iron out, but things are going fairly smoothly at GlassSpy Games and *fingers crossed* it will continue to be that way for the rest of the project.

See ya next time!